Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why the Nintendo Wii?



Why the Nintendo Wii?

It was my birthday and my great wife wanted to buy me a console for my birthday. When she ask which one I wanted I said without a doubt the Nintendo Wii. She said she had wanted to surprise me with a Sony Playstation, but I said I wanted the Wii for not just me but for the whole family.

Its not that I have anything hugely against the Playstation 3, (I used to own an original playstation console and currently own a PSP - which is a great little machine), or for that matter against the Xbox 360 - my brother has one. Graphically even the Wii agrees it doesn't compete with the PS3 or Xbox in terms of graphic potential. The PS3 and XBox360 certainly appeal to an older market in terms of the games they produce. For example I can't get
Assassins creed (yet) on the Wii and its graphics wouldn't be as lifelike as the PS3 or XBox360, but in terms of playability, fun and all round appeal the Wii beats them hands down.

There a number of reasons for this.

  • Size
  • Price
  • Motion
  • Family
  • Add on's
  • History
  • Fun
Size:-
The Wii is small enough to place just about anywhere. I've got my on the size of my big screen tv in the stand that comes with the original package. This is the so call upright position. You can also have it horizontal and sitting under or on top of the tv. When space is a premium you don't want a console that won't squeeze into your TV cabinet - I don't very much you will have any problems finding a space for the Wii. The motion sensor bar is small as well and very easy to set up.

Price:-
At $388 Australian dollars the Wii was about $300 cheaper than the nearest comparable console - included in that price I had 3 games thrown in as well. Some PS3 people would argue but you get a blue ray disk player with the PS3 - but that would just mean more expense in changing over all my DVD's to blue ray disks - I'll skip that opportunity for now thanks. The Wii accessories aren't too bad in price either - a must have being a nunchuck that plugs into the controller. They go for about $28, but I got mine on special for just over $20.

Motion:-
When I first heard about the Wii controller motion sensor I thought it would be difficult to use. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Wii and the player become one. You swing the controller like a baseball bat when playing baseball, you chip the controller just as if you had a club in your hand with golf. If you box in a game you "box" the controller and nunchuck. I didn't want another console where I grew fat just sitting on a chair. No chance with that with the Wii, you can do your workout playing games - ITS GREAT. One game I played for hours on end with constant punching and a component of a 16 round boxing match had me ripping off my shirt as I was sweating from a serious workout. After a week of this you notice your muscles actually bulking up - its quite amazing and you hardly notice it your having so much fun - it beats gym fees and endless weights.

Family:-
The Wii produces games that appeal to a family market. Whilst there are games for adults, the Wii has more children related games than any other console. The Wii sports that comes with the console package is a great way to spend time with your kids. Play ten pin bowls with them, baseball, and more. And trust me - my 7 year old is unbeatable in certain games - no matter how hard I try - thankfully I can also rely on a game of golf to restore a battered ego. My 2 year old even gets the motion concept of the controller so finds playing a game much easier than a solely button based controller.

Ad-on's:-
The Wii has lots of cool add ons. From turning your Wii into an internet surfer, to the Wii Fit which turns your Wii into a home gym. Wii wheels, nunchucks, 'guns' and traditional controllers all these add on's create even more playing environments. I think the Wii Fit is a great idea and likely to lead to having to split time between playing and the wife doing exercise. Oh well - sharing is important. The nunchuck is a must add on and a second contoller as well ($54) - so figure paying out another $70 within a couple of weeks of first buying the Wii.

History:-
The Nintendo Wii has a great history. Nintendo being the original lead producer in the home console market. This history has not been forgotten despite the dramatic new direction Wii is going. Old Nintendo game cube controllers still have a port on the new Wii is you choose to use them. Nintendo has shown loyality to its traditional titles like Mario and the Zelda series while continuing to develop new software options. Old Nintendo favorites can even be downloaded to your Wii and stored on the Wii huge hard drive. This protecting the history means your games today have a long future with the Wii.

Fun:-
Most of you have seen the Wii advert where a cute bubbly girl represents the Wii and a nerd represents other consoles - the Wii argues although not as bright as the other consoles (i.e. less computing power), its more fun. I have to agree with them - the Wii is a fun machine, more than that - its a family fun machine.

That's my reasoning for why I went with the Wii - its a decision I have not regretted.


No comments: